Guardians of the Galaxy: A Short Review
Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy today. Here are fifteen observations about the film that may or may not constitute a short review.
- At least two Oscars for Best Use Of Body Paint (Green) and Best Use Of Body Paint (Blue) are sewn up.
- Chris Pratt basically plays Star Lord as “Andy Dwyer in space” and this is fine by me.
- Best movie to feature a talking raccoon in a long time.
- Watching the entirety of the end credits of Thor 2 paid off!
- “WE are Groot” — aren’t we just?! All of the feels.
- It features a dance off as a major event, something that it shares with the Step Up movies. Guardians of the Galaxy is a waaaay better movie.
- The first words of the credits are “The Guardians of the Galaxy will return”. It is in fact a movie that reviews itself.
- The 3D version might have been pretty good. I watched the 2D version but the scenes with lots of action might be improved with a bit of depth.
- A great soundtrack, but there is a cheesy “smooth rock wins chicks” bit that’s a little icky half way through.
- That said, the description of the legend of Footloose is hilarious. Especially the callback toward the end of the movie.
- I especially enjoyed the scene with the Collector.
- Karen Gillen is wasted as Nebula, but hopefully she will be back. Karen’s also in what may well be one of the most ill-conceived TV shows of all time later this autumn.
- I thought it was Bruce Willis playing Drax the Destroyer (I’m useless at this guess the actor game). I loved his taking things literally: “Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.”
- If you text me at any point in the next month, I will probably reply with “I am Groot”.
- No Raccoons or tree creatures were harmed during the making of this film.