Turkey and Sweet Potato Stew
Here’s a recipe to use up your turkey leftovers after Christmas.
You will need a slow cooker or an oven-proof cooking dish.
- About four portions of cold turkey, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 sweet potato, chopped into small slivers
- 1 carrot, chopped into small slivers
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 20g butter
- 50g diced chorizo
- 1 chicken stock cube mixed in about 700ml water (see method)
- Melt the butter and fry the onions on a medium heat until golden.
- Add the garlic and fry this mixture for a further thirty seconds.
- Add the diced chorizo and continue to fry, adding a little stock and turning down the heat if things get a little too sticky.
- Fold in the cold turkey and mix into the onions, garlic and chorizo.
- Add half of the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the carrots, the sweet potato and the remainder of the stock.
- Transfer to a slow cooker or the oven proof dish. If you’re using a slow cooker, you need to make sure liquid covers the contents of the pot.
- Use the default high setting of your slow cooker, or cook in the oven at 160C for about two hours.
- Check on the pot when about 30 minutes of cooking time remains. If you need to thicken the mixture, stir about a tablespoon of cornflour into about 20ml of water and then add this to the pot, stirring it in well.
- Serve with rice and a green vegetable.